Metail allows users to try clothes online after entering three simple measurements. For shoppers, it increases their confidence to buy, as well as allowing them to experiment with new styles. For brands, it increases engagement and overall net sales. We’re finding new ways to use our understanding of the role of body shape in fashion to help design clothes better, make the supply chain more efficient, and help people find and buy clothes they’ll love and keep.
As Dev Team Lead for our Retail team/crew you will spend the majority of your time in hands-on software engineering, and collaborate with the crew leaders to build the team, promote quality and assurance and on product delivery. You will lend strong technology skills and provide recommendations into architecture/design work led by our Tech Lead.
You will provide line management for the engineers, including coaching, mentoring and continuous improvement, whilst also holding regular one-to-ones to ensure team members are happy and productive. By adapting your mentoring approach to suit individuals, you’ll inspire them all to emulate your pragmatic approach, your eye for detail and passion for delivering quality code in products that people all over the world love using.
You will play an important role in improving our agile process and development practices, providing support for critical decision making and ensuring effective communication for the team internally/externally.
We’re a dynamic, fast-paced scale-up with interesting projects, challenges and a culture that inspires learning and development. Our engineering team consists of 3 product development crews and a Tech Ops team. Each of the crews is a multi-functional mix of smart engineers, product leads, engineering managers, product managers and designers who are passionate about what they do. Our product is deceptively simple; under the hood there are components that require computer vision, graphics, machine learning and physics simulation, which we’ve continued to drive with ongoing R&D, alongside the more commonly recognisable front end apps and middle tier services. Our technology stack is based on JVM, and .NET technology – http://techstacks.io/metail, and mostly runs on AWS.
Meet the minds at Metail here
What makes you our next Dev Team Lead?
- You’ll share our instinct to be adventurous but pragmatic in technology choices, passion for technology. You will have pursued your interest in functional programming languages either professionally or in your spare time.
- Experience working in a startup/scale-ups with SaaS-based platforms and cloud technology;
- Web development experience with MV* frameworks (React a plus);
- Design and development of RESTful API’s with a good understanding of best practices;
- Strong attention to detail in both code quality and aesthetic UI presentation;
- Good understanding of HTTP;
- Experience with agile development principles;
- You have great communication skills – both written and verbal. You’re able to clearly present complex ideas and explain them to others;
- You have good decision-making skills and are calm and composed.
- You have line managed someone before, and want to improve your management skills.
What is Metail offering you?
- Opportunity to lead the continued growth and development of a really smart product development team tackling significant technical and commercial challenges.
- Innovative and open culture with strong links with the local tech community; we host 5 different groups in our offices, usually around 1 per week.
- Great offices in the centre of Cambridge.
- 25 days leave pa plus bank holidays
- Mentoring / coaching and a training budget you choose how to spend.
- Individual and family friendly HR policies.
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
This role is a full-time on-site role predominantly in Cambridge, but you will also need to regularly travel to our offices in East London.
A little more about Metail
Based in Cambridge, we’re in the heart of tech community and regularly host meetups for Data Insights, DevOps Cambridge and Cambridge NonDysfunctional Programmers to list a few. We also work with initiatives like Codebar and Next Tech Girls to teach and coach the next generation of coders.
We are sociable team, and frequently enjoy an ale together when family time and extra-mural activities allow at the Elm Tree or The Free Press. Our office also plays host to the annual Metail Summer Party where punting and bbqing has become something of a tradition.
If you want to help to turn an innovative fashion technology startup into a global brand used on websites across the world and have the passion and ambition to really want to make a difference at this exciting company then apply now.
Applications by CV and cover letter to Nick Maidment at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Recruiters: We are only accepting direct applications for this role. Profiles sent in application to this role will be considered a gift, for which we thank you in advance.